Bayern Munich are looking at Aston Villa’s Emiliano Martinez as the potential solution to their goalkeeper issue, as Manuel Neuer is expected to miss the second-half of the season through his skiing injury.
Martinez, 30, had an interesting journeyman career before arriving with Villa in 2020, having been contracted to Arsenal, but loaned out to Oxford United, Sheffield Wednesday, Rotherham United, Wolves, Getafe and Reading.
In his first two seasons with Villa, Martinez kept 26 Premier League clean sheets, earning his Argentina debut in June 2021.
His ascension to La Albiceleste’s number one saw him earn the 2021 Copa America Golden Glove as the tournament’s best goalkeeper, and he followed it up with another Golden Glove after securing the World Cup title in a penalty shoot-out.
Neuer’s leg fracture leaves Bayern without their first-choice goalkeeper, and with only a four-point gap atop the Bundesliga, they are reportedly desperate to secure a replacement in January.
TOP STORY – ARGENTINA WORLD CUP HERO TARGETED AS BAYERN’S NEUER REPLACEMENT
According to Media Foot, it is “out of the question” for Bayern to leave the January transfer window without a new goalkeeper, and Martinez’s World Cup exploits have him at the top of the list.
He remains under contract with Villa until 2027, giving the Premier League side plenty of leverage in negotiations, and after signing him for £17million, will likely have their sights set on a significant profit to part ways with their world-class shot-stopper.
However, he is not the only keeper the German giants are keeping a close eye on from the World Cup, with Sky Sports Germany reporting they also are investigating Croatia’s Dominic Livakovic and Morocco’s Yassine Bounou.
That report states Bayern will try to tempt 34-year-old Borussia Monchengladbach’s Yann Sommer to the club on a free transfer when his contract expires at the end of the season, but that will not address their immediate pressing need.
3 – Argentina have won the World Cup for a third time (also 1978 and 1986), 36 years since their last triumph in 1986. Only Italy (44 from 1938 to 1982) have ever had a longer gap between winning two World Cups. Elation. pic.twitter.com/Wh4XkygtGE
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) December 18, 2022
– Sport is reporting Barcelona are in advanced negotiations with Chelsea midfielder N’Golo Kante on personal terms, as he is able to leave Stamford Bridge on a free transfer after the season.
– Journalist Ekrem Konur claims Sevilla are the latest club to enquire about 22-year-old Angers midfielder Azzedine Ounahi, who impressed for Morocco in Qatar.
– According to GiveMeSport, Chelsea are in the race to land 18-year-old Borussia Dortmund phenom Youssoufa Moukoko when his contract expires at the end of the season, while Si Phillips adds they will also try to sign out-of-contract Manchester United prospect Alejandro Garnacho.
– Sky Sports is reporting Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and multiple Premier League clubs have taken a liking to 27-year-old Celtic right-back Josip Juranovic after his performances at the World Cup for Croatia.
– According to Fabrizio Romano, 20-year-old Italian midfielder Ibrahima Bamba will likely leave Vitoria Guimaraes in January amid interest from Atalanta, Club Brugge and unnamed Premier League sides.
#Rumour #Bayern #Munich #plan #move #Argentina #hero #Martinez #Neuer #replacement